Are you ready for change, challenge, and opportunity? Whether you’re looking to launch your career or grow an existing one, Riverside Millwork Group is the type of company that supports its employees no matter where they are in life or their career.
Riverside Millwork Group is a forward-thinking group of companies built upon a solid foundation of values that we continue to live by every day. Since 2005, Riverside has been supplying homeowners and builders with the finished products that make a house a home. Our suite of millwork products includes interior and exterior wood doors, interior mouldings, door hardware, closet organizers, custom millwork solutions, and millwork installations.
As one of Canada’s fastest growing companies, we are looking to give the right individual an opportunity to excel within our organization. We are seeking a dependable and motivated Financial Controller to join our team in Waterloo, ON and contribute to the success of our organization by delivering products and an excellent client service experience.
As the successful candidate, you will possess a high degree of stress tolerance, thrive in a fast-paced environment, and enjoy variety in your daily work routine. Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Financial Controller is primarily responsible for the undertaking of the financial management of the department as it relates to the development and enforcement of best practice internal financial control policies/procedures and financial systems designed to simultaneously mitigate risk while enhancing the accuracy of the Company’s reported financial results. The Financial Controller is a hands-on participative leader while offering strategic support to the Director of Finance to facilitate high-level strategic programs/projects.
- Plan, organize, direct, control the daily operation of the finance department.
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and enhance internal controls for activities such as budget administration, cash and credit management, and accounting.
- Directs the accounting and control functions for the department.
- Ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting.
- Coordinate the preparation of regulatory reporting.
- Prepare timely monthly financial statements.
- Manage the acquisition of capital assets and ensure the assets are properly recorded, amortized, and disposed of as appropriate.
- Prepare all supporting information for external audits and year end process with external accountants.
- Develop and maintain relationships with banking, insurance, and external accounting personnel to facilitate financial activities.
- Coach and assist department managers with financial and budget acumen to reach objectives.
- Provide financial analysis as required.
- Monitor financial activities and details, such as cash flow and reserve levels, to ensure that all legal and regulatory requirements are met.
- Maintain current knowledge of the industry, market, relying on current literature, and statistical studies and data to make informed decisions.
- Ad hoc projects as required.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Finance.
- Oversee employees involved in the accounting process: Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, and General Accountant(s).
- Models’ effective teamwork and fosters collaborative team environment within the finance department.
- Provides competency-based feedback.
- Holds team accountable for continuous improvement.
- Accountable for department employee retention, engagement, and culture.
- Responsible for the performance management of finance staff including, but not limited to, annual performance reviews, performance standards, and targets.
- Works with Director of Human Resources and Culture to establish and maintain a bench of successors for key positions.
- Works closely with Director of Human Resources and Culture to review staffing plans and forecasting.
- Participates in manager’s meetings.
- Participates in ongoing training and leadership development initiatives and programs.
- Complies and enforces all Company policies and procedures.
- Identifies and implements cost controls for operating and departmental expenditures in compliance with Riverside’s policies and procedures.
- Participates in the preparation of the department fiscal budget.
- Accountable for meeting the fiscal budget.
Health and Safety:
- Ensure employee compliance on all corporate health and safety policies and procedures including the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Enforce policies to establish a culture of health and safety.
Work Environment: Office.
- A bachelor’s degree in business administration, economics, commerce, or related field is required.
- Professional designation: CPA
- Valid G class Driver’s Licence.
- 3+ years previous experience in the capacity of Financial Controller.
- 5+ years of accounting experience in accounting, auditing, budgeting, financial planning and analysis or other financial activities are required.
- Previous industry related experience in construction or manufacturing is an asset.
- Previous experience with ERP is an asset.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Attributes:
- Knowledge of economic and accounting practices, principles, and systems.
- Knowledge of arithmetic and other mathematical applications.
- Knowledge of daily office procedures and administration.
- Proficiency with MS office.
- Leadership skills.
- High level of personal integrity.
- Judgement and decision-making skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Complex problem solving and problem sensitivity.
- Critical thinking skills – using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Analytical thinking skills – analyzing information and using logic to address work-related issues and problems.
- Dependability – reliable, responsible, and fulfills obligations.
- Monitoring skills.
- Stress tolerance – the ability to deal calmly and effectively with high-stress situations.
- Deductive reasoning – the ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Inductive reasoning – the ability to combine pieces of information to form rules and conclusions.
- Strong work ethic.
- Professional/mature demeanor.
- Ability to cooperate with others.
- Clean driver’s abstract.
- Competitive wage commensurate with experience.
- Paid vacation.
- Comprehensive group health coverage for you and your family.
- RRSP with company matching.
- Company events.
- Career development and growth opportunities.
To learn more about us, please visit: www.riversidemillwork.ca
Riverside Millwork Group will provide individual accommodation where needed, keeping in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Should you require accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact us to make your needs known.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Riverside Millwork Group is an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy to recruit and select applicants for employment solely on the basis of their qualifications with an emphasis on selecting the best-qualified person for the job.
Candidates will be assessed through careful consideration of: 1) their performance during application interviews; 2) their performance on any behavioural assessments, and cognitive assessments. 3) their current drivers abstract.
Successful external candidates will be subject to criminal record, and reference checks as a condition of the employment offer prior to the commencement of employment.
Reference ID: 2023.01 – FINCNTRL – WTL